Wednesday, February 3, 2010

a rude awakening; perspective

Last night I got home from the gym at 9pm, right at the start of the msu vs. wisco b-ball game, ate subway had a glass of wine, got in bed by midnight. a very relaxing night, until i signed on to facebook for the first time in quite awhile and my old boss from dq im'd me, telling me mrs. barnett passed away from a brain aneursym (http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/brain-aneurysm-topic-overview). Mrs. Barnett was 7 years older than me, I worked part time with her at dq for little bit, i was also in her first class that she student taught, she helped me run the school paper my senior year. Our AD hooked her up with my basketball coach and they soon got married, they had two kids and she was 18 weeks pregnant when she passed away on friday jan 29th. Upon hearing the news I got out of bed, took a shower, and at 1am I drove to detroit for the funeral this morning. It was the largest funeral I've been to. The funeral, the procession, and the cemetery prayer took about 5 hours. There must've been close to 500 people who attended. She passed away so young, yet she left an undeniable mark in our community. I loved her like an older sister. I can't believe how many people she left a positive impact on. It makes me want to be a teacher one day, a better person now, and a mentor like she was to me and many people of hphs. So many people bitch about life, about meaningless work, about petty problems. They don't realize how good we have it. They say that youth is wasted on the young and we don't know what we have until it's gone. It's funny how one's death can make your own life so clear. My friend always says don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small. It really is, we only live one life, what's the alternative... death? It's ashame how many people waste their life, especially when those like mrs. barnett had so much more to give, so much more to live, not to mention her 18 week unborn child will never get to step foot in this world. It just doesn't seem fair.


Everybody dies, but how many of us truly live? "For what it's worth: it's never too late to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

No comments:

Post a Comment