Thursday, November 18, 2010

5 Basic Factors for Happiness, According to Carl Jung.

Every Wednesday is Tip Day -- or List Day, or Quiz Day.


This Wednesday: 5 basic factors for happiness, according to Carl Jung.



One of my chief intellectual interests, along with happiness, is a subject that I call "symbols beyond words." And on that subject, no one is more fascinating than Jung.



I recently read the very interesting collection, C.G. Jung Speaking: Interviews and Encounters. In 1960, Jung was interviewed by journalist Gordon Young, who asked, "What do you consider to be more or less basic factors making for happiness in the human mind?" Jung answered:



"1. Good physical and mental health.

2. Good personal and intimate relationships, such as those of marriage, the family, and friendships.

3. The faculty for perceiving beauty in art and nature.

4. Reasonable standards of living and satisfactory work.

5. A philosophic or religious point of view capable of coping successfully with the vicissitudes of life."

Jung also added, “All factors which are generally assumed to make for happiness can, under certain circumstances, produce the contrary. No matter how ideal your situation may be, it does not necessarily guarantee happiness.”



I did disagree strongly with Jung on one point -- when he said, “The more you deliberately seek happiness the more sure you are not to find it." I know, Carl Jung vs. Gretchen Rubin! But though many great minds, such as John Stuart Mill, make the same point as Jung, I don't agree.



I find that the more mindful I am about happiness, the happier I become. Take the five factors Jung outlined above. By deliberately seeking to strengthen those elements of my life, I make myself happier.



What do you think? Do you agree with the five factors? And do you find that mindfully pursuing happiness makes you happier, or less happy?



* I love looking at book jackets, and in particular, looking at many book jackets for the same book. (I get a real kick out of looking at gallery of foreign jackets for The Happiness Project.) This collection of covers for Tolstoy's Anna Karenina was fascinating.



* The holidays are approaching fast. If you're giving The Happiness Project, email me at grubin at gretchenrubin dot com, and I'll send you a personalized, signed bookplate for the recipient. Or one for you! Just be sure to include your mailing address. Feel free to ask for as many as you want, and yes, they're free.


Gretchen Rubin is a best-selling writer whose new book, The Happiness Project, is an account of the year she spent test-driving studies and theories about how to be happier. On this blog, she shares her insights to help you create your own happiness project.

No comments:

Post a Comment